Monday 8 June 2015

Missing the UK

I'm just back from a week's walking in Turkey, which was fabulous albeit hot! Although much of the wildlife was very different to that here, there were some similarities in strange places! For example, high in the mountains, often the only bird we heard was the humble chaffinch!

Whilst I was away, the annual burnt tip orchid count on martin down was held - this usually means that they count more, as I seem to have an effect on them! And yes, this was true this year, with over 230 spotted in the localised patches surveyed via walking transect with volunteers.



They are beautiful if diminutive plants, and easily overlooked, but a real speciality of unimproved chalk grassland.

I'm looking forward to getting back out on the reserve as it is now butterfly season properly - and after chasing butterflies in Turkey I'm pining for our lovely species such as dark green fritillary and the humble marbled white. Bring on summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment